Sunday 12 May 2013

Lemon Drizzle Cake

| | 0 comments
Posted by Claire:

Until this cake was baked, I think I had some kind of baking trauma (which explains my absence from this blog the past two weeks). Everything I baked was failing and it was really discouraging. I was supposed to put up a post on salted caramel cupcakes but they didn't turn out well. And neither did a sponge fruit roll that I did the week before. I stand by a general rule whereby I won't post the bakes that turn to be too big of a failure (this is so you readers get only the best recipes that have the highest chance of success, so when I say my bake turned out well I'm not bluffing ok). I'm not one to persevere so I kinda just gave up for a while lolll.

But Mothers' Day was nearing so that gave me some kind of motivation to start baking again. Also, auntie molly(thanks auntie!) gave me a recipe for lemon drizzle cake after I raved about baking, which looked simple enough. So I decided to bake a day before Mothers' Day just in case I fail(you see, baking trauma.) 


Ingredients

225 g caster sugar
Grated zest of 3 lemons
100 ml lemon juice
225 g butter
250 g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75 g ground almond
100 g granulated sugar
4 eggs

Method



1. Grease a 8" circular pan. Cream butter, caster sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy.



2. Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure to beat well between each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little of the flour. 

3. Sift in flour and baking powder together, add in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and the ground almond. Fold in the ingredients with a large metal spoon. Then spoon the batter into the cake pan, making sure the surface of the batter is even.


4.Bake in the over at 180 degrees celcius for about 45 minutes (I baked mine for 40 as it looked like it was starting to brown already). Poke holes in the cake using a fork so that it can absorb the lemon mixture better. 



5.Meanwhile, mix the remaining lemon juice with the granulated sugar. Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Spoon the lemon mixture over the cake while it is warm. As the cake cools, the syrup will sink into the cake, leaving a sugary crust.





And..... the result is a simple, delectable cake that was loved by both my mum and auntie molly! :-) My mum loved it because it was light and fluffy, making it easy to have as a light tea snack. The lemon added a tanginess to the otherwise plain cake, and despite the sugary crust, the cake wasn't too sweet. So perfectly light texture + tangy lemon zest + subtle sweet aftertaste + easy to bake = Perfect cake that will not go wrong! :-)

Happy Mothers' Day!! :-) Love you mum!!



Love,
Claire

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 

Share This Page
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance